The Emilia Romagna case study will be addressed to the “green-smart city” and eco-quarters approach, aiming at the integration of environmental and energy aspects in territory, urban and district planning.
Urban smart regeneration strategy should be the main objective of the training, with the study and the analysis of most important and innovative best practices. ERVET will show to other partners good energy and urban planning experiences in Emilia-Romagna region. The main mission and mandate of ERVET is to support the Emilia-Romagna Regional Authorities through the development of technical activities. Moreover, ERVET support the Emilia Romagna Regional, Provincial and Municipal Authorities in the planning activities. The role of ERVET has been defined through a regional law n. 26/2007.
In Emilia-Romagna Environment and Urban Regeneration was chosen as implementation case because Environment and Urban Regeneration are placed into the same portfolio to support the integration of environmental aspects in urban planning. The Regional Government sets and implements, together with the Provinces, a three-year Regional Environment Action Plan for a Sustainable Future. Moreover this rebuilding process will be in compliance with Regional Environment Action Plan for a Sustainable Future and a several number of Regional laws concern territorial and environmental planning and aim at pursuing the sustainable use of soil and the protection of natural spaces and biodiversity.
- Regional Law n. 20/2000 sets the discipline for the safeguard and use of the territory
- RL n. 23/2009, in conformity with the European Landscape Convention principles, aims at combining together natural, rural and urban spaces
- RL n. 6/2009 re-sets the rules for urban regeneration and plans implementation monitoring
- Regional Resolution n. 28/2010 defines, for the first time, areas not suitable for ground mounted photovoltaic panels
- RL n. 3/2012 assigns to the Environmental Action Regional Plan the coordination of all the Plans concerning air, waters, soil, biodiversity, climate, waste and the definition of the strategic objectives.
Background, existing situation
- 2008 Regional law defines new spatial planning regulation
- Urban planning and building regulation (RUE) being the main operational tool
- A specific section of the Regional Energy Plan is devoted to refurbishment of spatial and urban planning tools together with improvement of energy performance of buildings
- Emilia-Romagna has a specific regulation on mandatory energy performance and certification of buildings
- Clusters of municipalities is a new administrative level going to be more and more relevant
- The Regional government is promoting implementation of Covenant of Mayors with direct involvement of the “cluster” level
- Promote update of urban planning tools and inclusion of energy sustainability requirements
- Optimization of local planning and bulding regulation (RUE) as a tool to regulate energy sustainability
- Use of clusters to make innovation within planning tools at the most effective scale
- Push the regional green building economy